Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Bit of Progress

As usual, I haven't spent nearly as much time as I would like knitting, but I do have some progress to share with you at last!

Here is a photo of the shawl I'm working on. This is the Faux Russian Stole from Meg Swansen's book, A Gathering of Lace. I'm using my Fearless Fibers Superwash Merino Wool Sock Yarn. You won't find this colorway in my shop, since it's a one-of-a-kind that I dyed for myself.



Although I don't feel as though I've spent much time on the shawl lately, I've somehow managed to come pretty close to the halfway point. The yarn is a heavier weight than called for in the pattern and I also used smaller needles, so I'll be curious to see how it looks when blocked. That is, if I ever get there!

In other news, I've got a new pair of socks on the sticks. I'm using a leftover skein of superwash merino sportweight yarn that I suppose is from another project that I've long since forgotten. I kept the cuff short, as I'm not at all certain that I have enough yarn to finish the pair.

You can't really see the pattern in this photo, but it's the best picture I could get on this gloomy day. The pattern is a little odd anyway. It's a speckled/broken rib of sorts, that up close looks like a rib peppered with mistakes, sprinkled with a knit where a purl should be, a purl where a knit should be. From a distance the pattern becomes visible though and looks a little like a mock cable. It's definitely not something I'm in love with by any stretch of the imagination, but I like the way it looks enough to proceed. These are just socks for me, so they don't need to be a work of art.



I also managed to finish the knitting of the "Thingamajig" that I mentioned in a prior post. It needs some serious blocking and a bit of finish work to be complete. I'm still not sure whether it's going to work out or not, but I'll know as soon as I get around to blocking it. I'll report back on that soon.

It feels good to have made at least some progress on my current projects. I'd love to start another sweater soon, but with so little time for knitting I want to be sure it's a project that I really, really want to do before I begin. We shall see.

Everyone have a wonderful week! And please keep those finished project photos coming to me!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The shawl is just lovely.

It does feel so good to make progress. I just wish I had more hands so that I could knit while doing other things. :)

Wish I could see the pattern on the sock, but what I can see on my monitor is just a dark brown sock that looks like it has some sort of texture to it. LOL

schrodinger said...

The stole/shawl is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful !!!

Anonymous said...

The shawl is beautiful....spectacular autumn like color!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the shawl is looking fantastic! And if it looks this good now, I can only imagine how great it will look when it's blocked.

Anonymous said...

the lace scarf looks great! sigh, what is it about lace anyway . . .

Anonymous said...

I found you from Anne's blog, your shawl is a gorgeous pattern! It'll be absolutely stunning when it's finished, because it's beautiful already. I also can't tell what the pattern is on the sock, but as long as you're happy enough to keep working on 'em, then I say "go for it."