Monday, January 15, 2007

Two Great Projects Plus More on the Sale!

For today's Monday customer projects, I have two terrific ones to share with you. First, here's Micki's Pomatomus socks in Fearless Fibers Superwash Merino Wool Sock Yarn in the Brick House colorway.



I've seen so many pairs of Pomatomus socks and have to admit that I was never blown away by the pattern. The socks I've seen from this pattern in the past were all made with handpainted/variegated yarns. They were certainly very nice socks, but it wasn't until I saw Micki's rendition that I really picked up on the lovely, swirling details of the pattern. You can find more details and pictures on Micki's blog, but I can't resist sharing one more of her photos that really captures the lovely detail. Great job, Micki! You may have swayed me to finally knit my own Pomatomus.



Next up is Katy's scarf in FF Alpaca/Wool DK Yarn in the Bountiful colorway. This scarf is the Yarn Harlot's Reversible Scarf Pattern. When I knit with handpainted yarn, I often change the pattern by a few stitches as needed to avoid pooling and patterning, but in this case, the patterning really works well. Isn't it lovely?!



I like this scarf so much that I think perhaps I'll start one myself this week, while I'm on a long plane ride. That brings me to the next topic of today's post ...

I'm taking a brief vacation from Wednesday through Sunday this week. During that time, all items in my Etsy shop will disappear. The items will reappear on Monday morning. As a reward to all of you for your patience while I'm gone, there will also be quite a number of Orphan Skeins on sale on Monday morning. There will even be some orphan triplets and perhaps even quadruplets! The sale will be two days only. Items will be listed Monday morning January 22nd (sometime around 8:00 a.m. Pacific) and any unsold orphans will be removed Tuesday evening.

I'm off to gather up the orphans now in preparation for next week Monday's sale!

Great week to all!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for featuring my socks, Deb! Enjoy your time off--you deserve it.

I'm looking forward to possibly adopting some orphans.

Anonymous said...

Those socks are gorgeous, the poms are so photogenic aren't they? Your yarn really shows them off nicely.

Anonymous said...

While I'm not knitting from my stash (and I know sock yarn doesn't count anyway), I wasn't planning on buying more for a while but if you're having a sale, I'm going to have to make an exception. Can't wait for next Monday. Have a great vacation.

Anonymous said...

Those socks are seriously beautiful--a really great combo of yarn and pattern.

Thank you for sharing them--I am inspired to knit.

I love seeing how patterns knit up in various yarns, because I often have a hard time visualizing ahead of time.

Kathleen

Anonymous said...

hve a GREAT vacationj deb!

Anonymous said...

Very lovely projects. They both show off your yarn quite well.

Stacey said...

Those are amazing!!!!! SO pretty!

Anonymous said...

FYI, I worked my scarf over a few more stitches (4, maybe?) than the Yarn Harlot did. The resulting width was just perfect, and the patterning is actually more subtle in person. I've gotten loads of compliments on it already, so thanks again for your lovely yarn!

Anonymous said...

Whee, another sale - I wonder if I can afford something? [bg] Good luck on your vacation, especially with the unexpected snow. I hope either you were planning on just staying home, or it melts off so you can get the heck out of here! Or have good tires on your snazzy little red car.

Anonymous said...

Katy's "Bountiful" scarf is beautiful. I appreciate her comment telling how she did it. Yesterday I spent half a day figuring out how to make the colors stack vertically in my "man lace" shawl (Anne Hanson's "Hypoteneuse") that I'm working in "Bountiful".

In the end, I decided that the wonderful horizontal stripey effect that the yarn produced straight out of the skein was prettier than the vertical effect I was aiming for. (The effect works well with the textured pattern, too.) "Bountiful" isn't the most photogenic of FF colorways--there isn't a lot of white, and the autumn colors are very rich.

Anonymous said...

Sorry...just spamming to say that I actually made the Bountiful scarf over *34* stitches, which is 8 more than the original pattern. :)

Anonymous said...

I am with you, I've always appreciated the work that went into Pomatomus socks, but it's not a pattern on my "To Knit" list, but after seeing these, I may change my mind. They are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. Have a safe trip.

picperfic said...

oh yes! I've almost completed my second pair of socks...in fact i thought I might have finished them but i got stuck in your blog and now it's bedtime! I love those socks but they are on very fine yarn...the one's I've made are over 48 sts and these are 80!! not sure I'll progress to such wonderful fineness!