Thursday, January 25, 2007

Back To Work!

I've been back from vacation a few days now and am working to get myself back up to speed. It's amazing with a small business how just a few days away can create such a backlog of things to do. My apologies to all of you for my rather scant blog postings of late, but as I'm sure you can imagine, dyeing comes first on my list of catch-up activities!

My vacation involved a trip to Pennsylvania to visit my family. My sister, her husband, their five children, and my mother live together in Pennsylvania. For me, the trip was rather exhausting despite the fact that all we really did was hang around their house, play cards and games, eat too much good food, and laugh riotously at just about anything and everything. Just being around the five children always enervates me. At this moment in time, they are all teenagers. Yep. That's right. Five of them, ranging in age from 13 to 19. Just being in proximity to all that youthful energy is enough to exhaust me!

I did manage to knit a bit during the trip, on the plane and during a few rare, quiet moments at the house. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera with me and so I can't even manage a bit of knitting content for you by providing a picture. I followed Katy's lead in knitting the Reversible Scarf from the Yarn Harlot (posted in my Monday customer projects a couple of weeks ago) and I made one for my mother. A straightforward project that required little attention was just the ticket for knitting on the plane. The scarf turned out very nicely, but you'll have to trust me on that since it is now in my mother's possession and I have no picture to share.

I also finally gave my sister the cashmere scarf/wrap that I made ages and ages ago. Some of you who have been visiting here for many months may remember it:





I'm pleased to say that it was a big hit! My sister ooooh'ed and aaaaaah'ed appropriately, but I knew for certain that she truly liked it when she brought it to work with her the next day to show to her work friends. My sister's a fair-skinned redhead and so the green color is lovely on her.

The highlight of my trip was when my oldest niece suddenly - with no prompting from me or her mom, I swear! - expressed an interest in learning to knit. The two younger nieces then chimed in to say that it sounded like fun and they'd like to learn too. I had actually thought of bringing extra needles and yarn with me on the trip in case I could rope them into learning to knit, but I decided against it since it seemed unlikely that they would suddenly take an interest in knitting and I thought I would regret carrying the extra baggage for no reason. Now I know better and will be sure to plan that for the next trip.

That's all the news that's fit to print today. Again, my apologies for my negligence in blogging these last couple of weeks. I promise to do better going forward and thank you all so much for not forgetting all about me while I was gone!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! It's great to hear of a handknit being so appreciated.

How cool would that be to teach your nieces to knit.

Anonymous said...

I'm extremely flattered that you found my lead worth following! :)

Glad to hear you had a lovely vacation, and welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Welcome Back!