Wednesday, December 20, 2006

See Deb Knit. Knit, Deb, Knit!

I sometimes feel as though I don't knit at all these days. It can be torturous at times to be surrounded by so much yarn and to have no time to knit. My fingers itch to sink into the yarn all around me!

NO! Don't look, I tell myself. Keep your eyes away from the walls. You know the walls are lined with shelves full of yarn everywhere you look.



Keep your eyes down. Look at the floor as you walk through this area! Oops ... that won't work either!



Just squint your eyes and get out of the room! Oops, what was that you glimpsed out of the corner of your eye?



Quick. Escape. Duck into the dining room for a moment before you succumb to the desire to knit instead of finishing the dye run you had planned this afternoon!

But no. The dining room just weakens my resolve as I see all the neat little packages waiting to go to their new homes in the morning. It doesn't matter that I can't see inside the packages. I know what's in them!




Then I remind myself that even though it sometimes feels as though I have no time for knitting, I do indeed find the time somehow. I even have some knitting progress photos to share today!

First, here's the shawl I started a couple of weeks ago.



I finished the first repeat of the 96-row pattern and now have it committed to memory and can move forward quickly from here.

Gotcha! Kidding, of course. I most certainly have not committed it to memory, nor will I ever. The center motif pattern is 81 stitches by 96 rows. It's not a difficult pattern at all, but keeping my place on the chart is a bit challenging. I know I make it more difficult on myself by using the tiny chart in the book rather than getting a copy enlarged, and also by sitting in an armchair with the pattern book resting on the arm and watching television while I knit.

I had a hard time getting a good photo for you, but here's another shot where you can see a little more of the pattern detail.




I also started a new project. This one is knit with my Fearless Fibers DK Alpaca/Wool Yarn. The colorway is not part of my line, but you'll hear more about that in a future post (teaser). The colors are not accurate in this photo, but the weather is gloomy today and there's no hope for a natural light photo, so this will have to do.



(And yes, those are the tips of my feet appropriately clad in handknit socks that you see at the bottom of the photo.)

What is this going to be, you ask? Haha! I'm not telling you! Actually, I can't really tell you since I'm not sure what one would call it. It's going to be a thingamajig. That's the best I can do.

Hmmmm ... All this talk of knitting ... I think I'll go sit in my favorite armchair and click the sticks for a while.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a treat to look at so many candid, "at-home" photos of Fearless Fibers yarn. They're even prettier in groups, and the new colorway is most intriguing. Your shawl is going to be beautiful--and you definitely scored a "gotcha" with me re the pattern repeat!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you're a stronger woman than I am! I don't think I'd be able to part with any of that yarn, even to paying customers.

The shawl is lovely! I can't wait to see it completed.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you're a stronger woman than I am! I don't think I'd be able to part with any of that yarn, even to paying customers.

The shawl is lovely! I can't wait to see it completed.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you're a stronger woman than I am! I don't think I'd be able to part with any of that yarn, even to paying customers.

The shawl is lovely! I can't wait to see it completed.

Anonymous said...

The shaw is looing good. I love the mystery colorway you have there for your thingamajig.

I don't see how you can part with all your beautiful yarn. I would have to have a seperate house just to keep it all. :)

Stacey said...

Look at all that yarn!

The shawl is beautiful - the orange color is so warm looking.

knitspot anne said...

oh man! you gotta warn us when yarn photos like that are coming! i mean, i was eating sugar too! now i'm fanning myself to bring the flush down a little . . .
oh, and that lace? ni-i-i-ice!

Unknown said...

I started the same shawl 3 years ago! It looked familiar and then the 81 stitch, 96 row repeat gave it away! It's actually going to be a New Year's resolution to finish it - I only have 4 rows of the final repeat and the top edging left - wish me luck! It will be gorgeous though ;-)

Anonymous said...

*pointing to Miki's 3 posts and giggling* heehee Miki hic-cupped :)

Oh geesh Deb, will you adopt me pulleaseeee, I promise I am house trained, I don't each much and as long as I have yarn and needles, I am relatively quiet. You can just sit me right beside your yarn bins and I won't move a muscle, I promise!!!

Anonymous said...

Deb--in the photo of all the yarn in the ziplock bags, what is the gorgeous yarn in the top left corner? The orange one? Yowsa!

bigsistersf at yahoo