Saturday, December 23, 2006

Sneak Preview

A couple of posts ago, Katinka asked whether she had spyed a couple of new colorways in my Etsy shop recently. The answer is Yes! I recently created two new colorways on Superwash Merino Wool Sock Yarn. Only two skeins of each of the new colorways were available for sale, as I thought I'd test the waters before investing too much time and energy. The new colorways sold right away and I also received a few special requests for more and so it's official -- there will be more of these new colorways available soon!

I'm going to share a sneak preview with you here today, but be forewarned that these two new colorways are not yet relisted in my store. I'll have more available in a week or two and will be sure to let you all know when they're listed, but for now I thought you might enjoy a sneak preview.

The first is called Chocolate Pink Cherry. This colorway is in response to a number of requests I've received for a pink and brown sock yarn. It took me a while to come up with this one, since I really wanted a "rainbow-dyed" colorway rather than a handpainted colorway. The handpainted colorways have regular repeats of colors and so they pattern, pool and stripe in a variety of ways depending on the pattern and the hand of the knitter. I do adore handpainted yarns, but for the pink and brown scheme I thought a rainbow-dye would be intriguing. Rainbow dyes are entirely random and result in a mosaic of color when knit or crocheted. I had in mind that the pink and brown would have more subtlety and elegance in a rainbow-dye, but that was no easy task! With colors as disparate as pink and brown it took a bit of creativity to come up with a blend that showed off the colors and variety nicely but still blended harmoniously.

The result is Chocolate Pink Cherry! Unfortunately, it's not the most photogenic of colorways, but trust me when I tell you that it's really very pretty indeed. When I have a new batch completed I'll do my best to get a better photo, but for now this one will have to do.



The second new colorway is a handpaint called Exuberant ... and exbuerant it is! If you haven't noticed yet, I have a penchant for oranges, rusts, umber, tangerine, and every other variation of orange imaginable. I particularly like this colorway because it combines two themes that aren't often seen together -- brilliant eye-popping color and warm tones.



As always, keep your eyes open for more colorways coming soon. I just can't stop myself from adding new ones all the time. It's just too much fun!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! You do the best browns & oranges - two of my favorite colors - of anyone I've ever seen. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

schrodinger said...

Those are really beautiful colors!!

Anonymous said...

As one of the two lucky purchasers of Exuberant, I know that this colorway, like Citrus and Gentle Peach, is a real mood-lifter. Deb, you do the best colorways, period.

Anonymous said...

Yep, a lovely eye for color. Gorgeous stuff, Deb. Thanks for making all the rainbows! Merry Christmas and have a wonderful new year; I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Namaste Knitter said...

Hi Deb,
Chocolate Pink Cherry! I'm swooning - it's beautiful.
I finished the Socks for Tim out of the Autumn Reflections superwash merino. I promise to send a photo!
Merry Christmas!
Hope to see you soon.
Patricia

Anonymous said...

Oooooo they are both very nice. I can see why they went so fast.