Thursday, March 27, 2008

Oh My My

A week or two back I shared with you photos of socks I knit with the new Merino/Tencel Sock Yarn that I'm planning to add to my FF line. I've worn them a few times now and put them through several washes, all with good results.

In the meantime, I've had some testing assistance from Kris, who recently finished up her own pair of socks with the yarn. She sent me a comprehensive review (huge Thank You for that!) and shared her photos with me.

Now hold on to your hats! The socks that Kris knit put my plain ol' vanilla rib and stockinet socks with this yarn to shame.



Aren't they glorious?!

Kris used the Nutkin pattern on size US 1.5 needles. This pattern has a cable-like look, but without the chore of actual cables.



Here's a close up of the stitchwork. You can really see the lovely sheen of the yarn:



Kris reported a knitting experience much in line with what I found. The yarn is lovely to work with and really beautiful with its silky sheen (the words "seriously magnificent were used ... oh my!). The only drawback of note is the yarn's tendency to kink up after frogging, although Kris did find that when she left the yarn until the next day after frogging it had relaxed again quite a bit. She also noted that the yarn does have a tendency to become a bit splitty after tinking, but not enough to create problems. The bottom line review is overwhelmingly positive.

With my wash and wear testing well underway and yielding very positive results, I'm about ready to move forward with a sizable order to get the ball rolling.

I do have several more skeins already dyed up, so perhaps I'll have a little blog contest to give a little sneak peek. Hmmm. Long time no contest! Perhaps next week. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm...I love tencel shininess! :)

Anonymous said...

I love this yarn.

kris