Friday, April 17, 2009

Digging and Digging

I can't believe it's Friday already! My apologies for my relative silence this week. I've been digging in and working hard, quite literally.

With the weather turning nicer each week, my husband and I found ourselves suddenly bitten by the bug to attack the landscaping our front yard so desperately needs. We've been in this house for a year and a half now and have been very slowly making some of the seemingly endless improvements needed. The yard was low on our priority list, but with the sun shining and the birds singing it became irresistible.

I wish I'd taken a "before" picture of the front yard, but alas, I didn't think of it. It was basically a mess of shabby plants and flowers that I doubt were ever particularly attractive but were particularly shoddy because of our neglect. There were a lot of various bulbs planted everywhere, which I personally just don't understand here in Oregon. Why anyone would want to go the flower route is beyond me. They're beautiful, of course, and great fun to watch grow and bloom, but Oregon is so green and lush year-round that I can't understand planting things that will only look nice during a short period of the year. My husband and I are both of the mind that Oregon's made for evergreens. (Low maintenance is appealing as well!)

We set about with a bit of planning and then dug right in. And we dug and we dug and we dug. We basically dug up everything except a few of the nicer bushes. We then dug and dug and dug some more, as we removed a perimeter of grass all the way around the front yard. It's about 8 feet deep in front and 6 feet or so deep at the sides and toward the house. Then we tilled and tilled and compacted and compacted. We pretty much just have some edging to go and then we'll be ready to plant. We found an amazing and huge nursery nearby that specializes in evergreens (no flowers at all, just shrubs, bushes, trees) and spent an afternoon browsing and planning. We hope by this afternoon to be ready to go make our purchases.

Once this is done, we still have a walkway we'd like to add and a little trim fence toward the front walk. Then it's on to the side yard. (Can I stop here and say that I am sooooo glad I started an exercise binge 6 weeks ago? I could never have done this if it weren't for that. Several days this week, we literally spent more than 5 hours with shovels in hand, digging and pushing wheelbarrows around and such. I feel like Superwoman!)

Anyhow, all of this - combined with my usual daily dose of dyeing - has drained all of my time this week and thus my relative silence here. Perhaps you'll forgive me when I share with you the latest in the series of Sale Items that I've been listing in my shop:



There are four skeins of this "Classic Merino Sock Yarn" listed in the Sale Section of my shop this morning.

Everyone have a glorious day!

No comments: