Thursday, May 31, 2007

This and That

A couple of posts ago, I mentioned that I have a new lace scarf in the works and promised to share a work-in-progress photo. So here goes:



This is a lace pattern of my own design, knit with FF Laceweight Merino in the Hendrix colorway. The pattern detail isn't very clear in the photo, but once it's done and blocked the detail will come to light.

I'm rather amazed to report that I'm already close to halfway done with this scarf! I haven't had much time to knit this past week, so I'm pretty pleased with my progress to date.

I've also found a few minutes here and there to knit a few rows on my endless summer project - the ripple stitch afghan. The weather here in Oregon has been unseasonably warm (as in 90 degrees or so!) and I'm finding it difficult to get motivated to pull out the afghan and put some work into it. I'm so impressed by folks who use the summer to knit sweaters and such for the fall/winter season or even for winter holiday gifts. I vowed to do that this year with this ripple stitch afghan for my husband (who spent the better part of last winter pleading for a Knit-By-Loving-Wife blanket to throw over his knees when he's watching TV).

What I really need to do with the afghan soon is to weave in the growing collection of ends. Each color stripe in the pattern is four rows, so that means that there are two yarn ends to weave in for every four rows. Although I'm only about 25% or so through this project, I can see the nightmare of end-weaving mounting! If I don't start doing some of this now, it's going to be one whopping pain in the rear later. If I were a wiser woman I would knit in the ends as I go. Perhaps I should begin doing that from here forward. In the meantime, I've already got this lovely collection of ends looming before me:



It's a terrible photo of the piece, but I'm sure you get the idea with all of those tails hanging!

That's all the news from me today, except to give you a bit of a teaser . . .

At long last, I'll be focusing on some new colorways for my Superwash Merino Wool Sock Yarn. I'll probably add 5 to 7 new colorways sometime soon, perhaps two weeks from now. Keep your eyes open for news on that front.

Great day to all!

7 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

The scarf looks great! Wow you have made some serious progress.

Yeah I would suggest knitting in the ends of te blanket as you go for sure. That is the worst part for me. I never look forward to that part. I am not one that can knit blankets, sweaters and such in the summer. They are just too hot sitting on my lap. I am more of a small project/sock knitter, now spinner.

I am excited to see what new colors ways that you have cooked up

knitspot anne said...

oooh, maybe you can make some sort of twisted fringe with those ends . . .
and i LOVE the lace scarf—it is SO pretty especially in that colorway!

Susan Pandorf said...

Oh no! Not new colors...must remain strong...can't give in...well, maybe just one wouldn't hurt...

Blessings from the road to perdition!

Fiberjoy said...

I had the same thought as anne, use the ends for a decorative fringe.

Isn't it sad how our hubbies tend to be the last on the list. Sorting a bit through fibers tonight I spotted the Charollais I started spinning in Feb with plans to make Ed a vest. (His suggestion.) I'd spun one ounce when sidetracked to something else.

In anne's comments you wondered if we'd be at any shows. I can email the answer if you write to me: wjjenkins1ATyahooDOTcom

Wanda

Erica said...

I don't know if this would help you or not, but when Aija at sockpron.blogspot.com put a little tutorial on her blog about how to weave in the ends while you knit when she was completing her lizard ridge afghan. Just a thought. Your lastest scarf looks great!

Erica said...

wow, evidently it is too early in the morning for posting! Sorry about that glaring grammatical error in my above post that I happened to see right as I hit publish. Don't you hate that? :)

Namaste Knitter said...

Hi Deb,
Great to see you yesterday! I love your scarves and you inspired us with your lace as always!
Hope to see you again soon!